DMT W6FP 6-Inch Diamond Whetstone Sharpener - Fine With Plastic Box

|

fat loss factor review


DMT W6FP 6-Inch Diamond Whetstone Sharpener - Fine With Plastic Box Review.

 "Fast and Uniform" 2009-11-03
By Richard Wong (Ewing, NJ United States)

I sharpen my kitchen cutleries by hand using this DMT diamond stone and a Japanese combination water stone: Woodstock D1130 1000 Grit and 6000 Grit Japanese Waterstone. Despite this is called a "fine" grit stone, it is plenty aggressive to sharpen a typical kitchen knife. My friend has a chef's knife which had a broken tip (~1/4") and a chipped edge, and I was able to restore the tip and the edge by using this "fine" stone. The DMT diamond stones need a small amount of water during sharpening. It is to help prevent metal fines from sticking to the sharpening surface. In my opinion, water lubricant stones are superior to oil assisted stones for two reasons. First, it is easy to apply water and to clean up afterward. Second, water is less slippy than oil and therefore it is safer to sharpen a knife with wet hands than oiled hands. DMT makes interrupted surface and continuous surface diamond stones. This belongs to the former. For most applications, the interrupted surface is slightly superior because it allows metal fines to fall into the slightly recessed area and remains out of the sharpening surface. This allows greater sharpening performance by reducing the frequency of washing and removing the metal fines from the surface. However, if your tools have very small blades, then they will get caught in the recessed area. You will need a continuous surface diamond stone for these small blade tools. I have upload a closeup customer picture of the diamond stone. The stone is 6" X 2", adequate for most kitchen knives, though a wider one would be nicer. The receded red dot areas are 1/8" in diameter. In my experience, your blade needs to be at least 1" in length to comfortably take advantage of the interrupted surface.

I bought this DMT fine diamond stone for $35. I find this diamond stone to be very versatile. It cut fast and uniform, and yet gives you full control of the sharpening process unlike a grinding wheel. The DMT grinding surface is extremely flat, so I also use it to flatten my Japanese water stones. If you have never used a diamond stone, then you will be surprised how fast this stone can cut/grind. I certainly was. I have an aluminum oxide oil stone and I have to push my knives downward at the stone to sharpen them. Whereas I simply slide my knives back and forth on this diamond stone. This saves time, energy and improve sharpening results. Frankly, it is probably safer too. Because the diamond stones cut faster than other stones, I like to suggest new users to check on their progress a bit more often and also apply less force downward at the whetstone.

Despite this DMT stone is advertised as fine grit, the grit size is 600 (25 microns) which is too coarse to be a finishing stone for knives. Knife edges ground by this diamond stone should be polished on finer stones.

Assuming you are into sharpening your knives or tools, I highly recommend this or one of the other diamond stones. You won't regret getting a DMT diamond stone.

*Updated on Dec 27 2009*

Yesterday, I noticed my Shun bread knife has two very tiny but visible chips, not quiet sure where they come about. I put it on this diamond stone and it managed to grind out the chipped area. I then finished it on my 1000 and 6000 grit water stones. This DMT diamond stone is not only able to restore my friend's damaged budget knife, but it also worked for a VG-10 core Shun knife.

*Update on Mar 02, 2010*

I bought the DMT W6XP 6" Diamond Whetstone Sharpener - Extra-Coarse With Plastic Box for knife reprofiling. The extra coarse stone makes reprofiling an knife edge/bevel very easy. However, for regular knife maintaince, this fine DMT stone is probably more suitable.

*Update on Jun 08, 2010*

I have retired my Woodstock Japanese waterstone for a couple of months because it is essentially worn out. I have since bought Naniwa Super waterstones for replacement. Nevertheless, I am still using the DMT diamond stone and it is part of my setup. It seems to be running strong.

 "EXCELLENT SHARPENING/WHETSTONE" 2009-09-12
By S. MARKS (WASHINGTON D.C.)

I have nothng but PRAISE for this product. Don't look at something else, just buy it! Use the Fine for the initial sharpening (a perfect job for the average knife) and consider buying the Extra Fine for that razor edge!

 "Perfect" 2009-10-05
By Mark in Pa. (USA)

I am a collecter and do buy some used knifes from time to time for my personal collection and dress them with this stone. I can put a "razor edge" on an older "somewhat used" knife as long as the blade is not damaged, without loosing the value of the knife.

Just buy it.

 "Fabulous Sharpener" 2010-03-30
By Gordon Allen (Springville, Utah)

After reading the many positive reviews on this sharpener, I finally purchased the Fine and Extra Fine units from Amazon. As usual, Amazon's service was exceptional. These sharpeners come with great directions. The devices are easy to use - just a few sprinkles of water and all is well. Our kitchen knives are like new. I have a large Henkels Chef's Knife I use for chopping onions. After sharpening it on the Fine and Extra Fine devices, that Chef's Knife is fabulous. I am very pleased with the ease of use of these DMT sharpeners and recommend them to those who want a simple but effective way to keep their blades sharp.

 "Factory Sharp" 2010-03-27
By Retired Guy (Naples, Florida)

I have owned an array of knife sharpeners, cheap and expensive. Some results were good, some poor and others just ok. I had used oil stones previously with mixed results and electric well rated models that sometimes seemed more damaging then sharpening....to be honest I was gun shy and reluctant to spend more money on sharpening products. The only solution seemed to be to have them done professionaly.

Before I ordered this stone I went to You Tube (now remember I am a retired male who just had his 70th birthday) You Tube is not somewhere I frequent often. However after watching a few videos demonstrating this stone and sharpening technique, I said to myself I can do that. I ordered this stone and when it arrived I practiced on some old pocket knives with fantastic results. I then moved on to my kitchen cutlery with the same satisfaction.

However when it came to my very expensive Shun Japenese knives I was reluctant to proceed. My hands would actually shake when I attempted to try. Well I practiced some more on my friends knives and after receiving so many compliments I mustered up the courage to go ahead. Well the results were amazing.

I have since purchased the DMT exra fine and a Naniwa Japenese Super Stone 5000 Grit that I use with a stropping technique that puts a long lasting polished edge on my knives that seems to make them just glide through food and vegetables effortlessly.

If your knives aren't extremely dull and damaged and you only want to purchase one stone..........this is it believe me. It is a fast easily learned no mess way to keep your knives so sharp you will look forward to using them.


fat loss factor review