DMT W6EP 6-Inch Diamond Whetstone Sharpener - Extra-Fine With Plastic Box

|

fat loss factor review


DMT W6EP 6-Inch Diamond Whetstone Sharpener - Extra-Fine With Plastic Box Review.

 "DMT Whetstone (Extra Fine Grit) AWESOME!!!" 2009-12-28
By K. Skinner (California)

I went out on a limb and purchased this whetstone (along with the DMT Fine Grit Whetstone) based on the overwhelmingly positive reviews I read on Amazon. I was skeptical at first based on price as it's not the cheapest stone on the market. However, my doubts were quickly put to rest when I received it.



I tore open the package like a kid opening a gift on Christmas and immediately went to work on my mom's dull kitchen knives. After a few passes with the fine grit, I used this stone for a finishing edge. WOW! By following the simple directions, I resharpened every knife in my mom's knife block (9 knives of assorted sizes) in less than 20 minutes with a razor-sharp edge. And, I mean razor-sharp. In fact, I put such a sharp edge on these previously worthless knives that I inadvertently shredded a dish-scrubber-thingy while washing one of them without even noticing.



This product definitely works as advertised. This stone is easy to use, stable and compact. Plus, it doesn't wear out after 20 passes like some other diamond carbide sharpeners. It's money well spent.



If you were on the fence about getting this stone, don't hesitate - just get it. I'd even recommend getting this stone along with the fine grit (at a minimum). You won't be sorry.

 "BEST BUY" 2009-09-12
By S. MARKS (WASHINGTON D.C.)

This is the SAME Extra Fine whetstone from DMT as the W6E except it has a Plastic bpox in lieu of wood for $17 less. Nothing can match it's Excellence in final sharpening of a fine knife to a razor edge.DMT W6EP 6-Inch Diamond Tabletop Whetstone, Extra Fine Grit



 "fast cutting whetstone" 2009-12-30
By R. Nakayama

Bought x-course, course, fine and x-fine. Very fast cutting and easy to obtain new cutting edge. Use very fine oil stone if you want a polished razor edge. These whetstones are not one solid surface but rather like a peg board. Cutting of edge is fast so take it easy with the course 'stones'.

 "I'm happy with this product." 2010-01-17
By Henry Succop (Miami, FL USA)

The perforated surface of this DMT Whetstone works very well in allowing the user to just use water when sharpening instead of oil. It keeps the surface wet and the holes trap the metal filings from the knife.



This stone does need to be broken in a bit when new. My knife blades tended to catch on the holes slightly at first but after I spent some time sharpening a number of knives this no longer happens.



If you already have a coarser sharpening stone then the W6EP (Extra Fine) would be a good complement but I would not recommend this stone as your only sharpening stone because it is so fine. In fact I am going to purchase the other DMT stone that is one up in coarse grade, the W6FP (Fine).



 "Excellent "stone" for kitchen knives" 2010-01-18
By G. Powell (Seattle, WA USA)

I already own the DMT FWF Diafold Diamond Whetstone Sharpener Fine which is a great place to start with a very dull knife. But it's a little course for everyday sharpening. If you do the finish honing with this extra fine stone and a couple of strokes on a steel and your kitchen knives will be really, really sharp! In fact the first time using a resharpened knife my wife went right through a lemon and nicked her finger. I had warned her but it's been a long time since I've had a decent whetstone so the knives had languished a bit and were not as sharp as they should have been in a long while.



The plastic box it comes in is pretty useless. I suppose you could screw it to a workbench, but I don't have the space for that in my shop area. I do use it for storage.



Why buy a tabletop stone vs the folding version? Well the folding version is nice but the hinges are a bit flimsy and so it bends a bit toward the end of the stone. It's easier to use this larger block even if you have to hold it down at one end to the counter while honing. The diafold versions are nice for camping where you have to carry stuff, but the tabletop versions are much easier to use in the shop or kitchen with your big chef's knives.


fat loss factor review